ANST - previous threads ... keltoi / religion / holy-days

RAISYA RAISYA at aol.com
Fri Jan 23 16:03:03 PST 1998

>And for anyone who really is where Wolf pretends to be, "pressed to
>death" means they lie her down on a platform of stone or wood, put a board
>on top of her, and start putting rocks on the board.  And keep it up until
>she dies.

It's been a few years since I did any reading on the witch trials, but if I
recall, the individual who died in this instance was a male, and he wasn't
being executed, he was being tortured.  Legend has it, he was refusing to plea
either innocent or guilty, though I have no idea if that's true.

I believe the individuals who were hanged were those who pled innocent and
were then convicted.  Those people who pled guilty and "repented" had their
possessions confiscated and were imprisoned.  Most of these "witches"
apparently confessed simply to escape the gallows, not because they were
actually witches.  Ironically, people who firmly believed that lying was a sin
were among those executed.  There is apparently some slim evidence that one or
two of the accused may actually have been "witches" of some sort, but most
were apparently innocent victims.

If I'm wrong about this, please, someone let me know.  As I said, it's been a
few years since I read up on this.

Raisya Khorivovna