FW: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: ANST - Candlemas]]

Erik Langhans modius at cityscope.net
Wed Jan 28 16:41:55 PST 1998

>From Duchess Sieglinde

----------
Please forward to ansteorra at Ansteorra.net for me:

1.  Who will be judging?  Mistress Sieglinde, Mistress Kasilda, and
others whose expertise may be consulted on a particular performance,
technique, or documentation point.

2.  The Trimarans SENT no criteria, save that it be pre-1650, be
"documented", if it is out of Western European culture, an explanation
must be given as to how and why it got to Western Europe; and one might
only perform in ONE solo performance and ONE GROUP performance (not in
two solo performances or two group performances).  Follow the
documentation rules, as follows (previously printed in the Nov.
BLACKSTAR):

To the Populace of the Kingdom of Ansteorra:
It has been remarked upon by our Gulf Wars Host, the Kingdom of
Meridies, that it has been very difficult to establish Arts and Sciences
rules agreeable to all under which we can have the Gulf Wars War Point
Competition.  Because of this, they have decided to ROTATE the rules and
the running of the competitions between Ansteorra, Trimaris, and
Meridies.  The 1998 Gulf War A & S Competitions will be run by the
Kingdom of Trimaris.
To that end, we are publishing, for the benefit of all, the rules under
which these competitions will take place.
STRUCTURE:
ENTRIES:  the number of entries is limited.  No points will be given,
therefore, for the Kingdom with the most entries, as in past years.
Entries:  up to 20 "static" and 5 "performing" entries ---25 pieces
total.
STATIC ENTRIES WILL BE ANONYMOUS.
NOTE:***ENTRIES VS. ENTRANTS***
An entrant in a performing piece may be involved in up to one (1) solo
entry, and/or one (1) group entry, for a TOTAL MAXIMUM of two (2)
entries.  An entrant MAY NEITHER have two solos NOR  two group
performances.
Since static entries are anonymous, an artisan could technically be
allowed to enter as many of his/her pieces as win a place in the
competition.
CHOOSING THE ENTRIES:
It will be left up to the Kingdom of Ansteorra (as well as Trimaris) as
to how the entries are selected.
Each entry counts as one entry and may not be entered in more than one
category.

NO MORE THAN 5 "mercenary entries" will be allowed out of the entire
number of 25 (mercenary being entries from allied Kingdoms).  We NEED
NOT use mercenary entries if we do not choose.
SCHEDULE:  Performing will be judged on FRIDAY after the Laurels'
reception.
Static will be judged on SATURDAY.
REGISTRATION:
STATIC:  1) registered on Saturday morning, assigned a code number for
designation.
2)  Kingdom affiliation of entry WILL NOT be listed on the item.
3)  Entries will be kept COMPLETELY ANONYMOUS, so as not to bias
judging.
***NOTE:  this means that costuming entries of any kind may not be
displayed "on the body".***
4)  All entries must be registered at the time judging begins; NO LATE
REGISTRATION.

(Ansteorra is presuming that, since static arts are anonymous, the
entrant need not be present to enter.  We will check on this.)
Additional items may be DISPLAYED (but not considered for judging) as
space will permit.
5)  Entries and/or judging sheets may not be retrieved until a general
announcement is made that it is time to do so.

JUDGING/JUDGES
1)  At least two (2) Trimaran and two (2) Ansteorran judges must
judge/score each entry.
2)  Judges will consist of:
a)  laurels;  b) sponsored apprentices or citizens of the Kingdom of
Trimaris or Ansteorra

SPONSORSHIP:  a sponsor card must be signed by two (2) LAURELS PRESENT
AT THE WAR.  (No especial Kingdom affiliation was noted on the Trimaran
rules; we must suppose for the moment that it can be ANY laurel who is
present, from any kingdom, who signs the sponsorship card.)  Sponsorship
will take place the morning of the competition prior to judging.
3)  Kingdom with the highest total score will take the war point.
4)    A brief  judges' meeting will be held prior to judging on Saturday
morning.

CRITERIA:
1)  Entries should represent items that could have been found or brought
to Western European culture approximately 500 c.e. - end of the Society
era (i.e., for our purposes, 1600).
2)  If an entry is found to be outside of Western culture, it is the
responsibility of the entrant to discuss and document within the
write-up how such an item could have found its way into Western Europe.
3)  ALL STATIC ENTRIES MUST HAVE BEEN COMPLETED WITHIN A YEAR PREVIOUS
TO THE COMPETITION.
4)  All entries must be accompanied by:
a)  an entry form write-up  (this will be provided in advance to the
entrants)
b)  appropriate documentation, which must consist of:
1)  AT LEAST one primary source of documentation OR
2)  AT LEAST  two secondary sources of documentation, and/or
3)  additional documentation, which is encouraged if it further supports
the basis of an historical entry.

DEFINITIONS:
A PRIMARY SOURCE of documentation is defined here as:
1)  an actual historical artifact;
2)  a photographic facsimile of such an artifact;
3)  a reputable scholarly translation and/or modern printed edition of
an ORIGINAL work primarily focused on your category.

A SECONDARY SOURCE is defined here as a modern text of narrow scope and
exhaustive scholarship focusing on your work or a particular aspect of
it.

RULE OF "REASONABLE SUBSTITUTION":
In the case where an entrant finds a particular item to be either too
costly or difficult to gather, the entrant is expected to document the
period item and discuss in the documentation the "reasonable substitute"
used in place of the period item (or use of the item).
CATEGORIES FOR JUDGING OF ENTRIES:
Entries may be from (or be classifiable as) any of the following
categories:
1)	Agriculture
2)  Apothecary/cosmetics
3)  Armor
4)  Basket-weaving
5)  Brewing/vintning
6)  Calligraphy/illumination
7)  Carving
8)  Ceramics and/or pottery
9)  Costuming
10)  Costuming accessories
11)  Domestics
12)  Drawing
13)  Etching
14)  Fabric Arts
15)  Food preparation
16)  Heraldic displays
17)  Jewelry
18)  Lace work
19)  Leather work
20)  Metal work (as separate from armory)
21)  Needlework
22)  Painting
23)  Performance (these are the 5 performing entries)
24)  Printing
25)  Sculpture
26)  Stained glass
27)  Tools
28)  Woodworking
29)  Written works

This is it--that's what we have.  So, we must go from there; I'm asking
that the time is limited to 15 minutes per performer/performing group.
As far as the documentation is concerned, I really hope that folks will
make an effort to fully document their work; the Trimarans will expect
the documentation to be good, if the past is any indication.