ANST - Re: Amtgard vs. the SCA

Mark Hinkle mhinkle at rocketmail.com
Wed Jul 1 19:28:57 PDT 1998

I disagree about the money. The people I knew (way back when) could
easily have been in the SCA. Parents will help out with things like
this. Really. It is also not about maturity. It is about the TYPE of
fun you enjoy. I've known people who were members of both Amptguard
and SCA. I have experienced elitism and maturity levels that cover the
gambit on both groups. Amptguard has its place. It fills a niche that
the SCA does not - fantasy. There are no spell throwing battle wizards
on the field of combat in the SCA.

I've never actually been a member of Amptguard, but I have friends who
were and are. They are good friends, too. Me? I like the stories of
reality a little more. Some pretty neat stuff happened in history. I
wish I could escape my technical manuals a little more often to catch
up on the past.

===

Mark Hinkle                      Team OS/2    IEEE     SCA
mhinkle at rocketmail.com
   "The difference between genius and stupidity is that
    genius has its limits." - Unknown