ANST - Appearance of Fighters

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Jul 2 07:15:51 PDT 1998

> If a few ounces of
> cloth or an extra piece of armour slows you down or takes off your edge
> might you not use that as an incentive to practice and improve instead
> of downgrading to a lesser standard???? No offense intended here to
> anyone, just offers of help, opinions (everyone has one) and maybe a
> nudge or two up the ladder to that elusive goal of creating that
> "special moment" for us all.
>
> Hasheika Maleah
> Barony of Namron

An interesting note here. At this last Steppes Warlord I'd totally blown
out my kneecops so I wound up borrowing Sir Conrad's greaves and knees.
This was much heavier than I'm used to and I was constantly aware of the
weight as well as my balance being slightly off. The funny thing is that
I did some of the best fighting I've ever done that day. Perhaps it was
because I was in constant reminder of maintaining good footwork but I
do remember not doing anything particularly "fancy".

On the other hand, I got a beautiful full-visored bascinet that I just
couldn't fight well in. I couldn't see anything and wound up getting
creamed whenever I wore it. It's probably due to improper padding but it
is amusing how one bit of period armor helped me and one hindered me.
All in all I've gotten more interested in getting the period stuff because
I feel a knight should look more the part as well as being a superior fighter.

Yers,

Gunthar