ANST - Re: Kids with Boffers

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Mon Jul 6 05:54:02 PDT 1998

I have been in the SCA in Ansteorra for 17 years and for 17 years I have
wondered why we can't have boffer tourneys for kids.  For 17 years I have
been given answers that don't make any sense.

You can go to Walmart or Toys "R" Us, buy your kids Nerf swords and Bows and
arrows or worse yet those hard plastic swords and turn 'em lose to beat the
crap out of each other UNSUPERVISED but, you can't set up an organized
boffer tourney where they can fight in a monitered and controlled situation.

The stupidest explanation was that it was considered "child abuse".  Well,
if that's the case, then we had better ban all organized sports for children
under the age of 18.  Let's get rid of football, basket ball, baseball,
martial arts, etc., ad infinitum.  Wouldn't want the little darlings to get
hurt now, would we?

Darcy