ANST - Re: Kids with Boffers

Dottie Elliott difirenze at usa.net
Tue Jul 7 13:38:43 PDT 1998

>Are we actually "losing" teenage SCA folks to Amptgard, LARP or Renfair? Or
>is it *potential* SCA members that are choosing the other groups instead?
>
>	-Tivar Moondragon

I don't know. However, I am concerned that when my son becomes a teenager
he will have precious little to do in the SCA as it stands now. At almost
6, he is still mostly interested in playing with toys and can be
distracted with that. However, at 13, the toys will be quite different
and not appropriate to the SCA. As a teenager, he will be too old for the
activities I have seen available at events when children's activities are
offered. What will be available for him to do? Run errands, herald the
field (if they will allow teenagers to do that), watch younger kids and
help with children's activities, do A&S (although most of us adults don't
do that AT events), serve the feast, etc. All worthy activities yes but
not as much fun as fighting. My son will rightly say they are mostly work
activities.  How many of us adults go to every event and work? Not many?
Well, then we can't expect are teenagers to do that either and be
satisfied.

Clarissa