ANST - Re: Amtgard vs. the SCA

joeb at waymark.net joeb at waymark.net
Mon Jul 13 23:17:46 PDT 1998

> Date:          Wed, 1 Jul 1998 19:28:57 -0700 (PDT)
> From:          Mark Hinkle <mhinkle at rocketmail.com>
> Subject:       Re: ANST - Re: Amtgard vs. the SCA
> To:            ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG

> I disagree about the money. The people I knew (way back when) could
> easily have been in the SCA.

I agree. Several Amtgard people have commented on the expense of
period garb turning them off to the SCA, and asked me how I could
afford my garb. (for those of you who know me, or have seen it at
events, the blue and gold particolored T-tunic and pants, and the
gray and purple T-tunic and hat were both considered to be very
fancy) They were stunned to find that the blue and gold outfit was
about $8 worth of cotton broadcloth, 2 $7 pairs of sweats, and a
couple bucks worth of bias tape. The gray and purple was bargain bin
60" fabric from WalMart totaling about $4-6. A lot of what they see
as prohibitive isn't really, they just haven't been shown the reality
of it.

IMO, the way to pick up more people via Amtgard isn't to recruit
them, but to recruit and demo *with* them. Show potential members
what both groups are like, since they are somewhat complementary, and
certainly not mutually exclusive, and a lot of them will try both and
settle on what they want more. Both groups could benefit from this
kind of action.

JB