ANST - Re: Kids with Boffers

Russell russmax at cowboy.net
Sun Jul 5 23:45:52 PDT 1998

Galen W. Bevel wrote:

> Although I basically agree with you about the reason here, I don't
> believe that we can lay this one at the feet of the BOD (intead, place
> it on those "other officials" you mentioned).  There are Kingdoms that
> allow minor aged people to fight in chivalric combat, much less boffer,
> with appropriate waivers, etc.  If the BOD were the ones holding us
> back, then _no_ kingdom could do this...it would be against corpora, or
> at least have a GP&D against it.
>
> Galen K.

I know that Galen is correct about the BOD. The minimum age for chivalric and
rapier (I think) combat is 16, according to the BOD. The 18 yr minimum is set
by Kingdom. My question is... Why can't Ansteorra allow these ages on the list
field? What legal precedent is there for disallowing the 16 and 17 year olds?
Is there a valid legal precedent, or is it just the *fear* of a lawsuit.

As to martial arts schools, I'm 34 yrs old: The last time we sparred in class
I had one match against a 12 yr old, and another against a 16 yr old. Against
the 12 yr old, I held back, didn't kick as hard or as fast, and tried to help
the person work on technique. Against the 16 yr old, all I had time to worry
about was not getting my butt kicked.

As to high school football, wrestling, etc. These folk mix 17 and 18 year olds
in competition all the time. I've never heard of this concept even given a
thought, except in the SCA.

I'm old enough that I fought in Ansteorra when I was 16. I don't think I was
less safe or more injury-prone. I do recall that my funds were extremely
limited, so I couldn't afford proper armor. Shag carpet, anyone?

On this topic, there is a progressing line of thought on this and the
Amptguard thread.

First: Let's do something to keep from losing our teens to Amptguard, LARP,
and ren faires.
Second: Let them do something more interesting than toting armor and tents,
like Boffer Tourneys.
Third: Let the 16 and 17 yr olds on the list field with the adults. Corpora
doesn't object.

I agree with 1 and 2, and I'm escalating to the 3rd thought.

Guillaume