ANST - Re: Kids with Boffers

Fox Anton Purtill fpurtill at simpletel.com
Thu Jul 9 09:22:50 PDT 1998

I might suggest a fairly simple idea, we determine what constraints we are
putting on design of weapons being used by youths.  The padded weapons clubs
have developed a pretty sophisticated method of weapon design that is pretty
detailed.  Second, are these weapons to be considered 'kid toys' or
'training weapons'.  The reason I ask that is the 'kids toy' concept means
highly soft weapons that couldn't be much more than a foam club, the
'training weapon type would be the more sold (and closer to the Amtgard/HFS
design) type and CAN pack a nasty wallop (ask Catriona about bruises)
depending on who wields them and how.

What type of "armor" are we thinking about (if any) for children?  Needs to
be cheap, light-weight, and easy to make.

What cost of building and who builds said weapons?

Are we planning special kids events (note that the same weapons could be
used at School demos as well) or are these for whenever the need comes up?

What sort of limitations do we set, just playing with them or is this a
tourney concept?

Just some thoughts.

Fox Anton Purtill - Karin Höijer-Purtill
blackfox at flash.net     khoijer at flash.net
House Starblade - www.flash.net/~blackfox
   (H) 512-821-3205 - (W) 512-425-9732