ANST - More scribal stuff

Leslie Miller Miller at pp.okstate.edu
Mon Jul 27 10:56:21 PDT 1998

> To end this letter, yes Virginia, there is a scribal college, network,
> and real people with real scrolls out there in the vastness of
> Ansteorra.  What I need now are names and experience info. to go through
> and start the ball rolling for information, teaching, etc.  HELP!

> 									Curstaidh

As the person who started stirring this particular ink pot, I must
say that I have received quite the education in the past week or so,
and I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my initial post!

Things I have learned:

- The college of scribes used to have an internal ranking system of
its own (if you did so many such and such things, you might receive
such and such a rank within the college).  This has been done away
with. (And actually, when I asked my original question about the
college, this was what I was really wondering about.)

- Work is being done on a scribes handbook.

- There are plans for an online Ansteorran scribal page.

- Regional scribes are now being required to turn in reports to
Curstaidh, (accountability is a good thing, IMHO).

- There is an SCA-wide scribes list that you may subscribe to at:
Majordomo at castle.org

Additionally, I have received the blessing of the northern regional
scribe to try to put together a northern regional scribal symposium.
In the past, we have held heraldic symposiums with some scribal
classes, but I'd like to see this be a scribal symposium with primary
focus on scribal matters with some heraldic classes as well.

I say "northern regional," but in reality, I would dearly love to get
together scribes and interested people from all over the kingdom.  To
my knowledge, we've never had a "scribal symposium" before, so
perhaps this would be of interest to people in other regions as
well...

I will need instructors... if you might be interested in teaching a
class, please let me know!

Also, as Their Majesties' travelling scribe, I will be attending most
of the same events as TRMs.  If you have any interest in painting
scrolls, sometimes it helps to see what other people are doing.  I
will have scrolls there; please come look at them to see what level
of painting is expected for the awards we hand out; come see what
other people are doing.  Feel free to come talk to me about scribal
stuff, nothing would please me more.

I am in service always,
Gunhilda