ANST - Texas Reniassance Festival

THEODORE KUBRICHT TedK at UH.EDU
Mon Jul 27 17:27:08 PDT 1998

Greetings all,

Vaclav Namatko here (known by most as Random), your TRF liaison for 1998.
I apologize for the length of this post, but this is probably the best way to
distribute the information for this year's Texas Renaissance Festival.   I will keep
to the major points as much as possible, those requiring more details may get
them by emailing me privately for an expanded listing.   Contact me or Yoshi, the
deputy liaison, if you have any questions (or answers) about any of the activities.
This post is divided into 4 parts.

In hopes of increasing the  SCA participation this year and in years to come, there
have been several changes made to make attendance easier and more fun.
Continuing the tradition started several years ago by Deborah von Falkenhorst,
Stefan von Drakenfels, and David St. David and building on the foundation laid
by Janet Virago Parva and Telbyrne Morningstar, we have endeavored to reduce
the amount of mundane responsibility and free the participants and sponsors to
showcase their particular talents.

Ordinary tasks such as waterbearing, information booth, crowd control, security,
and coordination of music, arts, and fighting will be mostly taken care of by a
group of regular volunteers, freeing the autocrats from providing these positions.
If you are interested in such a position and can attend at least 6 of the seven
weekends, please contact me.   Coordinators have already been assigned for most
jobs but we still need someone for both light and heavy fighting and odd and
assorted posts.   The liaison (me) and deputy liaison (Yoshi) will fill in
temporarily for any that are absent.   The usual tasks are still there to be filled
for participants who cannot run a demo or performance, and 3-4 hours of
participation per day will be the only requirement.

The first fight in the morning has been dropped, leaving us with three fights per
day at 11, 2, &4.   The mound has been reduced to about half its former size,
which should make it easier for the heralds to be heard and the crowds to see the
fighting.   If more fighters show up than the mound can hold, some of the fighting
will be held in the compound.   Fighters should participate in all three fights per
day or two fights and the parade or a demo.   Fights in the compound can be
substituted as well.   This year, proper attire is being enforced by both the fair
and the SCA.   No mundane shoes or modern clothing, hats must be worn at all
times.   To get extra passes this year, we had to promise the fair that anyone
who can't follow these simple rules can not be allowed to participate.   If you
need help with your garb, help will be provided.   Call me.

Continued...