ANST - King's College?

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Jun 4 21:48:29 PDT 1998

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Sandy M Koenig <ravensmk at juno.com>
wrote:
> That may be the case, and if he would respond that way to
> my face, then the better, however, either way I would take
> offense.

I would have *started* saying such things face-to-face.  (I
wouldn't call that "better", myself.)  The advantage of
face-to-face, however, is that I would likely have seen the
dawning look of hurt and anger on your face, and (I devoutly
hope!) I would have cut myself off and said what I write
now:

I apologize.  While it was not my intent to hurt you, that
is merely an explanation, not an excuse for my behavior.
I am sorry.

I do get sharp-tongued sometimes.  I hope that anyone I
offend will contact me so that I may have the chance to make
amends.  If you send me private e-mail, I will nevertheless
publish any apology on the list or Usenet group (or wherever
the offence took place).

> Wouldn't one expect those more experienced to be more understanding

One could wish ... unfortunately, those more experienced
sometimes forget what it felt like to be less experienced.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;
if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work address.