ANST - CHAIN MAIL LINKS

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Mon Jun 8 15:41:57 PDT 1998

On 8 Jun 98, at 17:08, SCOTT A WAGGONER wrote:

> It is cheap and easy to make a chainmail winding jug and wind your own
> coils. When buying rings you are mostly paying for the labor to wind and
> cut the links.  Paedric of Kilkenny wrote a chainmail article including
> plans for a jig in the A&S issue of the Blackstar a few years ago. I am
> sure someone has a copy.

basic fallacy in the logic ... "it's cheap to wind your own" ... & ... "you are paying for
the labor to wind and cut the links".  when you do it yourself you are *spending* your
labour, and few ever count their time in the same equations that they would use to rate
work done by others ... it's always important to remember that time spent doing
something, is time that can't be spent doing other, more productive things.

having wound and cut way to many links in my time, i would much rather buy them
from someone else who has contracted to buy mass quantities from a machine shop
(making them more affordable).  would much rather spend my time doing the weaving
and building than the link construction (something to definitely sub out ..)

'wolf
.. modern life is a triage ward