ANST - Period champagne?

Lord Nikolai Piotr Danovich nikolai at fiac.net
Wed Jun 10 09:43:49 PDT 1998

At 09:51 PM 6/8/98 -0700, you wrote:

>What little I've
>seen implies that
>the champagne-type beverages are late or
>out-of-period due to the
>bottles and stoppering required to withstand the
>pressure. Any
>details one way or the other?
>
>Stefan li Rous
><<<<<<<<

The problems with champagne (sparkling wines) in period were twofold.  The
necessary pressure to carbonate the wine didn't build up enough when the
bottles were stoppered with waxed cloth.  Corks were necessary for the
necessary build up of pressure to carbonate.   The second was that when the
carbonation pressure built up, the in-use bottles were too weak to
withstand the pressure.  It was not until a simple monk, named Dom Perigion
(forgive the spelling, please), came up with a recessed bottom (like we use
today) that true sparkling wine could be made.  I'm working from memory on
the good monk's invention, but I believe it was during the 18th century.

Ld Nikolai
Shire River March
Meridies

nikolai at fiac.net
http://www.geocities.com/athens/delphi/3275

"Three things never to bring one who has been your host: harm, contention,
ill repute.

"Three things a guest should never bring to another's house: ill tidings;
presumptuous license; and treachery.

"There are three things which one should give freely to guests: gracious
accommodation, friendly conversation, and insured safety."
					---- Irish sayings