ANST - Period champagne?

Wed Jun 10 07:22:51 PDT 1998

> It was not until a simple monk, named Dom Perigion
> (forgive the spelling, please), came up with a recessed bottom (like we
> use
> today) that true sparkling wine could be made.  I'm working from memory on
> the good monk's invention, but I believe it was during the 18th century.
>
> Ld Nikolai
> Shire River March
> Meridies

Dom Pierre Perignon, of Abbey d'Hautvilliers, is credited with the grape
blend and refining in-bottle fermentation.  The bottles used were of English
manufacture and were the strongest bottles available.  I've seen several
years (1670-1700) mentioned for the origin of champagne, but I like 1698.
By the mid-18th Century, commercial champagne production was a healthy,
growing business.

Of course, Dom Perignon's invention of champagne may be apocryphal, since,
according to some sources, his existence can not be proven.

Bear