ANST - event transport ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Tue Jun 23 13:51:42 PDT 1998

On 23 Jun 98, at 14:47, Cougar wrote:

> We were pulled over for speeding, on the way to an event, and I was in the
> passenger side, in garb, wearing my steel. After the officer's initial
> shock, and displaying my SCA fighter card, we chit-chatted about the SCA.
> He was so interested, that he ended up forgetting about writing a ticket!

have always found it a good matter of course to travel in mundane clothes, keep all
steel secured (locked in a case is best) and well out of sight, keep all non-mundane
items packed *under* the generic camping gear if possible ... if stopped and they ask
if you are going camping, you answer truthfully - "yes" .. and leave it at that.  also
helps to make sure the machine is legal (registration, inspection, ...) and in good
working order (lights, tires, etc ...) you have all relevent papers (license, insurance, ...)
and you make it a point to keep speed down (no open containers alcohol, no drugs, ...
make sure your passenger keeps their clothing on (there's another story there (g))  ....

look at whole thing as an excercise in not giving an officer the "probable cause" they
need to gain access to the interior of your vehicle and start the potential hassel
process ...)

now getting to things on a motorcycle is more problematic .. usually means working
out logistics with someone else to haul your heavy gear and anything you don't want
on person or bike ... and working the leathers into "garb" (hey, riding leathers are riding
leathers ...)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves