ANST - Chivalry and Politeness...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Sat Jun 27 07:51:42 PDT 1998

Bob Dewart said something that sounded like:
> Are we talking 20th century chivalry and politeness or period chivalry and
> politeness?

I am talking about 20th century/SCA chivalry and politeness and not
period. Although that might be a damn good discussion as well, since I
know little on the topic.

> Is there or should there be a difference?

I would be surprised if there were not, at least in the US. Our social
structure is vastely different than a caste system.

> Attitudes on many subjects are not the same now as they were then.

For example, we no longer have peasants here. Even those of lesser rank
in the SCA are treated as poorly as slaves would.

Most of the people I know who feel there is a need for social/economic
strata, don't go around flauting it in the face of those they feel are
lesser. (Of course the nuasances make my stomache turn at times.)

Ciao,