ANST - re: online publication issues ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Tue Jun 2 12:07:38 PDT 1998

On 2 Jun 98, at 8:43, Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> A downside is that contact info is on-line, and may be in
> a machine-processable form (if it's not a scanned
> sheet of paper, but rather an HTML version).  On-line
> contact info has been a sensitive topic in the past,
> he said, tap-dancing past a field of landmines.

one solution i have seen used with success to address these online
"sensitivity" issues ... controlled access limited to the hard copy subscription
list.  thus the person that is looking up the updated information is already
"validated" (via their paid hardcopy subscription) to have access to the
information ...

plus side, more timely information updates, centralized data store of old
information in one accessible location (who many out there know how much
storage space 25 years of various corporate, kingdom, baronial, house,
speciality, alternative publications takes up ... and the pain it is to find
something that you vaguely remember "from about five years back"

downside is that it requires a close integration with the online and traditional
publication efforts that are sometimes at odds with one another.  all important
issues that need to be thought about as publication starts moving from the
"dead tree" age to the "electronic" one.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves