ANST - On-line event announcements...

Alan J. Boertjens a-boertjens1 at ti.com
Tue Jun 2 11:30:04 PDT 1998

AuroraeB at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-06-02 09:47:38 EDT
>
>>>This is directly forbidden except by the individual and/or group who
>>>published the event announcement. There are many mundane and legal
>>>concerns regarding this and the Kingdom decided it was best to avoid
>>>the circumstances and publish minimal information.
>

> What a sad example of petty legal paranoia.  Not publishing
> information that might be of benefit to somebody for fear of a
> lawsuit or offending somebody.
> I belong to other not-for-profit organizations and there has never
> been an edict passed down from the national headquarters or regional
> boards banning the spreading of information concerning group
> activities.  In fact, it is very much encouraged to make it easier for
> all interested to know what all is going on.   Basically the protocol
> is to get that flyer or other information to as many possible
> attendees as possible.  But, then again, when we generate a flyer or
> other announcement, either online or offline, we consider it public
> domain to be used in the best interest of the organization. (We always
> put a disclaimer at the bottom stating that this information is to be
> copied in correct context and credited to whoever created it when
> copied and distributed)  I suppose that the event announcements and
> information contained therin are not considered public domain in this
> case.  (But, then I know squat about legalities).

There are mixed concerns involved with sending out said information.

- If the problem with the above-said posting *is* a legal issue, then
  yes, it would be completely petty.  The foundation of education
  is the dissemination of information, and the SCA is an *educational*
  organization.

- The problem with posting maps is a security issue rather than
  a publishing or copyright issue.  Posting event notices is a
  different matter however.  I think just about any media should
  be utilized for making event notices that contain a phone number
  for a contact but *not* the address.
  (e.g. I *don't* think it would be a good idea to photocopy a map
   to an SCA event site and post it down in Deep Ellum, but it would
   be reasonable to have a notice of upcoming events with contact
   names and phone numbers posted down there.)

- The autocrat/seneschal should have sole responsibility (unless the
  task was delegated by the autocrat to another individual) for the
  printed advertisement for an event, not just *any* SCA member.

In service,
~Ld.Johan Bjornsson