ANST - An idea for those with children

Genevieve de Courtanvaux gdc at airmail.net
Tue Jun 2 14:01:31 PDT 1998

>Greetings,
>
>This message was sent to me recently. While I will be adding it to my
files,
>I thought the idea good enough to post here for those who have children. I
>think it would be good for all events, not just Pennsic.
>
>Stefan li Rous
>stefan at texas.net

>Hi Stefan, this is Brion out in Aethelmearc.  I saw your post on kids'
stuff.
>Here's a tip to pass on for people bringing youngsters to Pennsic:
>
>Make the child a belt with their name written on the outside and all of
their
>camping information on the inside.  It's like a larger, more period looking
>version of the hospital bracelet.  It's also a good icebreaker for the
child
>because people know what name to call them.

As someone who occasionally works with children at events and has one to
care for of her very own, I do not recommend that a childs name ever be
attached to them where ANY person can see their name and address them as if
they know them. Recently on this list we went through discussions about how
not everybody in the society has good intentions please understand that this
is the case just as everyone you meet at the store does not have good
intentions......bad people are everywhere. (I will go no further with this
subject) I wish that more parents would treat the society just as they do
the rest of the world and still be on gaurd against people who will harm
their children. In most cases the child already knows his/her name and who
it would be ok to be with. I dread the day that a child is lured off site
and harmed. Please take every caution that you can with your children.

Genevieve de Courtanvaux