ANST - King's College?

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Jun 2 16:13:29 PDT 1998

I'm going to try to tap-dance around some more minefields
here.  Those of us active at the time of the Milpitas
Meltdown in 1994 have already heard rather a lot on the
subject, and probably will be sensitive about and tired of
the subject for the rest of the millenium.

> We cannot exclude those gentles by publishing event
> announcements electronically

Excuse me?  How does putting it on the web affect what's in
the Black Star?  If someone had actually suggested
electronic publication *only*, then it would be a valid
point.  Nobody did, so it isn't.

> SCA membership does more that get you the newsletter.  It
> supports the the Society and the Kingdom.

0) A *subscribing* membership gets you the newsletter.
Associate or family gets you a card proving you signed a
waiver (or not).

1) It does not really support the kingdom.  The SCA Inc.
gives each kingdom a cut of each subscribing membership that
orders their newsletter, but that money is portioned to be
approximately the cost of the newsletter.  A subscribing
membership doesn't really hurt or help the kingdom.

There is a minimum paid membership requirement for the
kingdoms of the SCA, but we're not near the limit, last I
heard, so an extra membership affects it not at all.

2) There are those of us who distinguish between the SCA
Inc., a 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation headquartered in
California, and the Society, the set of all people who play
approximately the same game.  Such people usually have
loyalty and affection for the Society, and not so much for
the SCA Inc.

Daniel "The minefield on your left dates to 1994: the 'pay
to play' minefield.  The one on your right is the 'required
membership to fight' minefield, also rather new.  Further
back is the 'required membership for officers' minefield, a
real classic ..."  de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;
    if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work account.