ANST - was INTERNET...now A&S...

Mon Jun 8 10:42:27 PDT 1998

Champagne describes a sparkling wine originally made from a mix of grapes
from the Champagne region of France.  The term is used generically for
sparkling wines made with grapes from the Champagne stock in the manner of
Champagne wine.

I believe it would be more correct to call a sparkling wine a "spumante,"
which, if my memory serves me, means "foaming or sparkling wine".

Bear