ANST - White Scarves as Peers?

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Jun 16 11:48:08 PDT 1998

Lionardo Acquistapace wrote:
> Of course a Crown COULD always just confer a simple Patent
> of Arms granting, effectively, a peerage without belonging to a
> specific circle.

No, they can't.  Corpora says "The following institutions are
established for all kingdoms in the Society.  A Patent of Arms may be
conferred only upon a person being admitted into one of these."  The
"institutions" are the Chivalry, the Order of the Laurel, the Order of
the Pelican, the Royal Peerages, and the Order of the Rose.  (Note:
whether either or both of the last two get a patent is up to the
kingdom.)

(My thanks to Galen for pointing out it's "the Chivalry", not "the
Order of the Chivalry", though it comprises the Order of
Knighthood and the Order of Mastery of Arms.)

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;
    if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work account.