ANST - Dying and yielding

Jerry Dreifuerst morganson at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 17 21:17:12 PDT 1998

Greetings all,
Othar here.

I'm cross posting this to both Ansteorra and the Armored Combat list.

   On the topic of relinquishing a fight to an opponent, I have the view
that we should recreate the effects of the blow received as best as
possible.  In a number of fights where I have been struck, as I left the
field, bystanders have asked if I was alright.  In taking a tip shot to
the cheek/eye slot I have gripped my helm and backed away from my
opponent, imitating a cut cheek or gouged eye.  When struck resoundingly
to the body I have emitted horrible sounds and fallen, as if killed or
mortally wounded.  Watching some fights, even as a marshall on the
field, I have been unsure as to who was victor and who was vanquished.
   I understand that some have delicate joints or wish to avoid the ever
present fire ants of our area, but I agree with others in this
discussion that we Chivalric fighters should strive mightily to be
victorious and if not, we should die or yield effectively.

Striving to be more victorious (and less of the alternative)
I remain,
Othar Morganson                  MKA: Jerry Dreifuerst
Stargate, Ansteorra                   Houston, Texas
morganson at hotmail.com                 jerryd at neosoft.com