ANST - It's what YOU make of it!

Helen and Bennie Brown browns at mail.intplsrv.net
Wed Jun 17 23:49:03 PDT 1998

Warning, long post and preaching.

> From:          "Laury Torrence" <J-LTorrence at worldnet.att.net>
> Subject:       ANST - More -  awards & peasants & peers, oh my
> Date:          Wed, 17 Jun 98 23:26:25 PDT
>
> Ansgar von Aachen wrote:
> > You raise some interesting points,
<snip>
> You raise an interesting point yourself!  *I think* (that's me, myself, and I
> and sometimes the mouse in my pocket), we need MORE people
> to find what they're passionate about.........
<snip>....I do things I enjoy doing.  I do
> things I also DON'T enjoy, like work, but that's 'cause I gotta...........
<snip>
> Again, it's those "perfect" moments that we play for.  When they come along,
> be it at Grand Court at 25th Year (all of Ansteorra roaring Rowan's name), that
> first tourney kill, your first cool court clothes that YOU made yourself......those
> are why a lot of us do what we do.  They are fleeting, and they are rare, but
> they are all the more precious because of that.
>
> Baroness Caterina (waxing poetic again)

VIVAT!  It is those "PERFECT" moments we play for, after all it is
just a "game" for most of us.  We still have to "live" in the mundane
world. For me, if it's not fun, I don't want to play, and there have
been several times in the 5 years I have been playing that I have
backed off because there was too much back biting, too much politics,
too much unenjoyable stuff for me to deal with.  There have been
several events that I have not enjoyed at all because of: screaming
kids (other peoples, not mine, mine's grown) [and before anyone
strikes back at that remark, I mean the kids that aren't being
watched, that are getting into everyone else's things and generally
being nuisances, and their parents are no where to be found], claims
of "rhino" hiding during lists, heavy politics behind the scenes (I
seemed to be in the wrong place during some discussions I should not
have been a party to), or someone in my party (or myself) not feeling
well.

On the other hand, I have been at events where for some reason I did
not expect to enjoy anything (like when a teenager insisted on going
and the only way he could was if I did) and I had the best time of my
life.  I have gone to events where I worked my bu... off and still
enjoyed it.  I have gone to events where I expected to just sit back
and visit and didn't get to, but had fun helping with feasts or A&S
competitions or lists.

My husband has had surgery and bad health and some of it continues
(he has Lupus) and he doesn't play in the SCA.  I've had surgery and
bad health.  I don't event by myself, it's not feasible for me
anymore (healthwise and car status wise).  When I can, I event, and I
go expecting to enjoy myself.  I strive for a "period" experience.  I
hand sew my own garb, I research and my garb gets more "authentic"
all the time.  I still wear some of the first pieces I made, because
they are comfortable.  I carry an ice chest (covered with a
blanket) because I want my drinks cold and persishable foods eatable.
 I'm not comfortable sleeping on the ground, so I sleep in my Van or
a cabin or a motel, if the event is too far to day trip (though I
usually don't go further that I can day trip).  The awards that I
have received have all been totally unexpected (from my AoA with King
Inman VI commenting on my tears and me argueing with my Baron to my
Sable Comet to my Iris of Merit and the total look of shock caught on
camera), but I don't play for the awards.  For me, this is a total
change from the office and computers and people complaing about their
computers that I have to deal with 5 days a week.

I've accepted the Seneschal position of our small Stronghold because
there just wasn't anyone else available to do it at this time.  I
will do the best job I know how to do and I will strive to play the
game and enjoy this wonderful "DREAM" we have all created.  And yes,
I will complain when things don't go "my way" or I see something
that I don't think should be there, but I'm only human, and my
complaints will be mostly to my friends.  I will also praise and talk
up the good things that I see to everyone involved and the good far
out weighs the bad from my point of view.  I shall continue to play
this "GAME" and dream this "DREAM".

It is what YOU and I make of it.
Helen Brown
HL Hellen Bales MacQueene
Stronghold of FalconRidge, Kingdom of Ansteorra
browns at intplsrv.net
Altus, Oklahoma