ANST - It's what YOU make of it!

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Jun 18 14:53:38 PDT 1998

Ulrica climbed on her soapbox to opine about SCA membership.
> I feel the same way here that I do about people who gripe
> about the government but don't vote.

I don't see the analogy to the SCA.  SCA paid membership does not give
you general voting rights.  (Now, the SCA requires membership to
become an officer, and an officer may have some say in how things are
done in their location and field.  Also, only paid members are polled
for (just as a random example) principality establishment, name, and
arms.  Those are limited cases.  We do not vote for the Board of
Directors or any other officials, and we do not have referenda on
laws or budgets.)

As for "people who have BIG opinions, but haven't the sense of right
to become a member of said organization": I see no problems at all
with having opinions, for Heaven's sake!  Nor even with expressing
them without being a paid member.  I have strong opinions about lots
of organizations -- for a few examples, the Boy Scouts of America, the
Roman Catholic Church, and the government of Russia -- and I'll even
express those opinions, yet I am not and I have never been a member
(or citizen) of those groups.

As for "right" (in the sense of morality or ethics) for being a member
... I've been up those stairs too many times, and I have some work to
do at the moment.  If someone else wants to argue the negative, please
do.  Briefly: some of us still distrust the Corporation.  Some of us
"vote with our dollars".  Some of us don't see the benefits to
ourselves and to Ansteorra to SCA Inc. membership.  (Ansteorra gets
only Black Star subscription money, which is roughly the cost of the
Black Star.  Everything else the Corporation keeps.  Some believe that
TI is not worth the money -- Duke Cariadoc for one.)

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;
    if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work account.