ANST - SCA weapons and the law

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Sat Jun 20 20:28:41 PDT 1998

At 01:27 AM 6/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>if memory serves, years back read of one of those old almost forgotten
laws from
>Lousianna (whose law system is based on the Napoleonic Codes and not the
>Germanic / Common Law of the rest of the US), that *requires* you to carry
a sword if
>you are carrying a certain amount of money on your person ... a leftover
from the past
>that was never removed up to that point.
>
>as an act of protest and civil-disobedience (g), carry wire cutters on my
person in
>violation of old texas law (still on books???).  anyone who carries a
leatherman pocket
>tool, with it's wire-cutting capabilities, is technically in violation of
texas' anti-wire-cutter
>laws ...)  ... so many oddities on the books relating to tools and weapons

Can you say "urban legend"?

There's nothing about wire cutters in the current Texas laws.

As for Louisiana, I had occasion to do some rather extensive research on
their laws relating to swords, duelling, and similar items about five years
ago. There's nothing about being *required* to carry a sword. (Although
there *was* an item that said that wearing body armor while comitting
assault would upgrade it from a Class C to a Class B felony.)

	-Tivar Moondragon