ANST - warm temperature fermentation

Pat St. Jean stjeanp at pdq.net
Sun Jun 21 19:04:30 PDT 1998

'Wolf wrote about brewing in a non-refrigerated house...

Hmmm...  80+ is a little warm for a ferment.  I'm not sure about
storage, but for the brwing itself, much over 70 (some yeasts vary) is
going to put some REALLY odd flavors in the brew.  You can put the
carboy in a water bath with towels covering it.  That'll lower the
temperature a little, but it may not be enough.

As for glass carboys, check your local brewers supply store.  I picked
mine up (5 gal, I use it as a seconday with a plastic primary) for about
$25 or so.  The 6.5 gallon ones were about $30 IIRC.  That's big enough
to handle the active primary fermentation without filling the airlock
with all kinds of goop.

Good luck!

Felipé San Juan
Barony of Stargate
Kingdom of Ansteorra

--
Pat in Houston    1997 XLH 883 (Rocinante)    http://freeweb.pdq.net/stjeanp
AMA #628294 TMRA #32588 HOG #1027226          EKIII codes with me!

  "...any way the wind blows." -- Freddie Mercury/Queen