ANST - Re: SR - Awards, was Principality???? (long)

Burke McCrory burkemc at ionet.net
Mon Jun 22 21:46:34 PDT 1998

At 09:40 PM 6/22/98 -0700, you wrote:

>> Donal wrote:
>
>> The Crown quite definitely has to approve any kingdom award (read: not
>> specific to the principality), though they may delegate the authority
>> to make an armigerous principality award as follows (VI.A.3.b):
>> Awards (See VII.B.4)
>> Note that the Crown must still approve and sign every armigerous award
>> scroll given out other than those principality awards which are
>> armigerous.(And rightly so.)
>
>Almost correct. In the case of Baronial Service awards(at least in this
Kingdom),
>the Crown is advised of the award being given, but is not otherwise involved
>(unless they happen to be a member of that Baronys' order).  The members of
>the Order are polled, and the yea or nay given by vote of the Order.  The
actual
>scroll comes from artisans within that Barony, and is signed by the Baron and
>Baroness, NOT the Crown. However, those people who are candidates for
>Baronial Service Orders are as a rule, would be candidates for AoA's due
to the
>amount of work they have contributed to their group.  Generally, their
service for
>this type of award is "above and beyond" and specific to their Barony.

While in the past many crowns have allowed Baronial service awards to be
given without their signature or their prior approval in some cases, it is
strictly a matter decided by each crown.  The AOA that accompanies a
Baronial service award (if the recipient doesn't already have one) is from
the Crown not the TB.  In these cases I would suspect that the Crown would
require prior notification and approval.  A Crown could, if it wanted to,
be involved in every award given in the Kingdom.