ANST - Re: SR - Awards, was Principality???? (long)

Donal & Sosha catsden at texas.net
Mon Jun 22 23:19:46 PDT 1998

HE Caterina wrote:
(My comments regarding provenance of awards snipped)
> Almost correct. In the case of Baronial Service awards(at least in this Kingdom),
> the Crown is advised of the award being given, but is not otherwise involved
> (unless they happen to be a member of that Baronys' order).  The members of
> the Order are polled, and the yea or nay given by vote of the Order.  The actual
> scroll comes from artisans within that Barony, and is signed by the Baron and
> Baroness, NOT the Crown. However, those people who are candidates for
> Baronial Service Orders are as a rule, would be candidates for AoA's due to the
> amount of work they have contributed to their group.  Generally, their service for
> this type of award is "above and beyond" and specific to their Barony.

To quote you, almost correct. The Baronial Service Orders carry an AoA
"at the pleasure of the Crown", in all cases; wording on the other
issue differs from Order to Order, but always is the implication that
the Order is given with the permission of the Crown, whether explicit
or implied, and that the Crown can refuse to allow the award to be
given. By _tradition_, said right of refusal is never invoked; by
_law_, it nevertheless exists. My original comment had to do only with
principality awards; however, the Baronial Service Orders are treated
the same way as hypothetical Principality orders would be. The Charter
of each Order, signed by the granting Crown, includes the
aforementioned delegation of authority from the Crown to Their
representatives to give an armigerous award on their own hook, as it
were, while also containing a reminder that such authority derives
solely _from_ the Crown.

Donal, Star