ANST - Re: SR - Awards, was Principality???? (long)

John Ruble ulf at urocor.com
Tue Jun 23 11:48:46 PDT 1998

HE Caterina wrote:

> As you said, "explicit or implied"! The original Charter for the
> Baronial
> Service Order may be signed by the Crown, and they are usually
> advised of the award, *but*  _they_aren't the ones who sign the
> individual scrolls.....that's partly what I was driving at.  From what
> have
> experienced in this Kingdom, the Crown has *traditionally* left the
> subject of BSO's to the Baron/essess involved.
{snip}

A Baronial Service Award is given by the Crown.  Period.  It may be at
the behest of the landed nobility for the branch in question, or it may
be the result of recommendations from the branch's populace.  It is the
equivalent to a Sable Comet, though carrying slightly higher precedence.
 It outranks an AOA.

As such, it can never be considered the sole domain of the Landed
Nobility.  They hold the lands in fief for the Crown, and these service
awards recognize the efforts of individuals from those territories.  The
awards mark the creation of an Order devoted to serving one of the
Crown's baronies, not just a Baron or Baroness.

In my time as herald to various crowns and nobles, I have witnessed many
different ways of handling these awards.  The only time I saw a Landed
"tell" the Crown which members of her populace were getting which
awards... well, in the end there was (I think) one AOA given.  From a
recommendation sent in separately.  The point is that ALL armigerous
awards come from the Crown, and the Landeds may not bestow one without
the Crowns approval for that individual.  There have been a few Crowns
who did less in this matter, but they should not be used as an excuse.

At the very least, consider someone who moved to your barony, performed
great feats of service, but has been all but banished for actions
performed outside your barony.  The Crown at least deserves a call for
any BSO award.

> I'm sure everyone thinks I'm a radical now!  Oh well!!  Je suis le
> tenebreux..........

I thought that was you at the radicals meeting...

Ulf
Herald With A Cause...