ANST - duct tape info

Raymond Catz scurlock at ies.net
Wed Jun 24 17:54:27 PDT 1998

> > > Um, it's "duct" tape, isn't it?
> >
> > You are correct!  I realized the typo as I was hitting
> > the send button.......However there are some brands
> > out there sold as "duck" tape, they put little ducks on
> > the label.  Not much we Amazons don't know about
> > in the way of gray tape and it's uses!
> >
> > Baroness Caterina
> > Bryn Gwlad

A trivial history lesson.

Originally this tape was , in fact, referred to as duck tape.  This tape
became very popular during WWII among naval aviators because of its
water-repellant properties.  (Hence, the term, "duck tape".)  If, for any
reason, you find yourself looking at documentary footage of planes taking
off from a carrier during the pacific war, look at the ends of the machine
guns on the wings.  You will find that they are covered with a gray tape,
the purpose of which was to keep the spray out of the barrels.  This is
why, naval avaitors "cleared their guns" by firing off a few rounds just
after takeoff.

					Jeremy