ANST - Dance Troupe Names in Latin

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Wed Jun 24 23:07:39 PDT 1998

At 05:59 PM 6/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I've noticed all the translating of mottos you've been doing on the list
>lately and was wondering if you could help me.  I teach courtly/country
>dance in Namron and would like to get a name for our group.  We are
>considering "Storm Dancers".  Our dancers are also performing with the
>MooneShadowe dancers at Midsummer's Ball and so I'd like another name just
>to use for that night.  We are doing a dance for the dijinn (air genies) so
>we were considering "Air Dancers" or slightly silly "Airheads".  I would
>seriously appreciate your help with this.  If you cannot do this (the event
>is next weekend) please let me know and I will try to ask someone locally.

Saltates Turbinis (Dancers of the Spinning Storm)
Saltates Tempestatis (Dancers of the Tempest)
Saltates Caeli (Dancers of the Air -- could also be read "Heavenly Dancers")

GLOSSARY
saltator, saltatoris (3rd declension masculine noun) "dancer"
tempestas, tempestatis (3rd declension feminine noun) "storm, tempest"
turbo, turbinis  (3rd declension masculine noun) "spinning storm, tornado,
whirlwind, whirl, wheel, spindle"
caelum, caeli (2nd declension noun) "air, sky, heaven, climate, weather"

cc: Stefan li Rous for his Florilegium files
Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)