ANST - observations ... was: Question...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Mon Jun 29 15:38:34 PDT 1998

On 29 Jun 98, at 13:17, Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> Ansgar wrote:
> > I would ask all parties involved to settle this as peacefully as
> > possible and as civilly as possible.  Do it here or do it in private,
>
> I agree with the first part but not with the second.
> Please take this ugliness private.  Well, one exception:
> if there's some sort of settlement, or if someone wants to
> apologize, that is nice to see public.

personal observations ...

when these private matters are repeatedly posted in public, all it does is
inflame and perpetuate the issue ... issues that the vast majority out here
are not involved in.  additionally, when a person becomes known as one
who posts private correspondences publically, people will stop making
those private attaempts at correspondence (have already heard at least one
person voicing concern about trusting their private correspindnces to the
individual in question in the future).

when you do this (using private correspondence in personal causes taken
public ..), you significantly diminish the communication channels that could
could be used to resolve such matters positively.

the whole feel of things at this point, is this situation was engineered and
purposly expanded (the origional posting of a private correspondence in a
public forum) in an attempt to publically humiliate a named individual, to
support a personal cause (and seeming mutal vendetta), in a seeming
attempt to enlist factional support to these private causes, and to publically
force settlement of what should be a private matter in their favor .. and in
process widened the issue well beyound the origional scope of the matter.

i would suggest that the easiest way to deal with it would have been to
simply ignore the annoyance in question (delete functions work well, and if
you really have a problem with someone, so do email filters to block their
access (note: a much easier solution that quiting the bigger game)).  just
walk away from a potential conflict and there can be no conflict.  as it is,
it's goin on, and on, and on to a point where it starts feeding on itself ...
personal feuds tend to be that way.

as for the overly common "i'm fed up with it all and making a grande
theatrical public exit" ... everyone here's seen it done to death many times
over the years, it just dosn't carry much impact to the audience anymore.
it would be far better theater to stay and rise about what should be a petty
annoyance (seem to remember that was one of the cornerstones of the
reason that many are here ???)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves