ANST - Awards

Tim Lozos dentim at myriad.net
Mon Jun 29 17:28:55 PDT 1998

Greetings!

The subject of awards came up, and I think there were two basic positions:

 If someone does a job *to* get an award (and lets everyone know who did it)

1. DONT give them the award, because it all they did it for.

OR

2. DO give them the award, because, hey, the job got done.

The short answer,I say, is give it to 'em.

The long answer is, well, longer.  :)

Funny how this subject has been hashed over previously, and the example is
usualy in a service sorta thing, like cleaning the porta-johns. Why is that?
Maybe because *anyone* can strive for a service award.  You dont have to be
physical, and you dont have to have alot of artistic talent. All you have to
do is serve, and serve, and serve. Do the jobs no one else wants. Do the
jobs you've done before. do the jobs
no one sees.  Sounds easy enough.  :)     (thats a joke,son)

Now, what is the difference between...

Lord X.... who serves feast, holds a local office and reports on time, helps
the Baroness with her court, Hangs out with the Hats, does flashy jobs, in
front of Royalty, and generally does the service type of stuff so everyone
see him....

Squire Y, who makes his armor, enters tourneys, fights,fights, and fights,
helps newbies train, hangs out with the Knights, tries to be well rounded,
and generaly does the fighting stuff where everyone sees him....

Lady Z, who apprenticed to a Laurel, enters her art at any and every event,
teaches classes, does some reserch, Give gifts to Royals (stuff she made),
hangs out with the Laurels, and generally does the artsy stuff where
everyone can see her......

The only thing I can think of is that people dont like the "Lord X"s because
they perceive them as buttkissers, while the others are on more accepted
paths to peerage.

 I mean, I'm striving for an award, a Knighthood. I'm even striving for the
Crown. Heck, I'll enter the Southern regional Coronet list (see, I said it
;) So whats the difference? I'm sure some people dont like it, or even view
me as some jerk because I want to be a knight and win Crown some day, but I
don't care. Thats a goal for me and if it dosent happen, oh well.  I wear my
knight's squire belt proudly, and show my skills on the field for all to
see. If thats not obviously  "Going" for an award then I dont know what is...

Timo
proudmutantsquiretoDukeMikeal