ANST - Dance Teaching Event

Margo Lynn Hablutzel Hablutzel at compuserve.com
Tue Jun 30 05:36:28 PDT 1998

Lady Capricia d'Aulnay, dance teacher of Namron, said:

        >>  On a slightly different note, while at Lindenwood's
        >> Midsummer's Ball this past weekend, several of us avid
        >> dancers and dance teachers  (from Namron, MooneShadowe,
        >> and Steppes) discussed possibly having a combined dance
        >> practice/event where we could all  learn each others
        >> dances and/or have a ball where we wouldn't have to
        >> teach every dance before dancing it.

I'm sorry I missed Midsummer's Ball; I received an invitation to
'Shakespeare in the Park' and it ended much too late to think about coming
over.

What you described is what happens at Crystal Ball and some other events I
have attended.  Classes of 1-2 hours all day, sometimes in 'tracks' if you
want to concentrate on Basic SCA Dancing, English Country, Italian
Renaissance, Other Ethnic, etc.  The first few sets for dancing are printed
in a (very Victorian, therefore Creatively Anachronistic) dance booklet
that everybody receives and fills out before the dancing begins.  If there
is a dance that does not require partners, it is indicated so that people
know they can just join in (some of the bransles, for example).  The
musicians get breaks about every 8-10 dances.

Once the cards are used up, the musicians play requests until the hall
closes.

                                        ---= Morgan (been there!)

           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
           |/   Morgan Cely Cain * Hablutzel at compuserve.com
                     Barony of the Steppes * Ansteorra
                          daytime: margolh at nt.com

                I intend to live forever - so far, so good

    If we knew what we were doing it wouldn't be research. - Unknown
    Research is the act of going up alleys to see if they are blind.
                                 - Plutarch