ANST - variations in chivalry ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Tue Jun 30 20:19:49 PDT 1998

On 30 Jun 98, at 20:31, Laury Torrence wrote:

> > one of the reasons i though it relevent.  it's one of the few
> > sub-cultures that follow similar pathways, exceed SCA in numbers (though
> > not in organization), and live their "dream" while living in the world.
> >  each follow codes of ethics and behaviour that are often at odds with
> > the mundanes, each tend to be mis-judged by those same mundanes, most of
> > the members get involved for similar reasons (finding "tribe", finding
> > space to let inner self manifest externally, mutal support of
> > differences, ...)
>
> Cool, another interesting twist!  We seem to end up in the most
> interesting discussions.....your correllation is *very* enlightened, and I
> think you may have hit on the very reason many of us play.....and the fact
> that there are many of us that play AND are riders.

extend those observations and apply them to another segment that
everyone considers a "social problem" - teen gangs.  we're at our core a
species that needs family / tribe / clann ... living a age that is increasingly
sundering these links and leaving extreme core damage in the wake ... we
seek out what has been taken from us and in filling that engineered void we
tend to pick-n-choose what we add back in - for good or ill.  if tribe is not
there, tribe will be created ....

> I'm STILL too chicken!!!  Amazon or no, there's something about
> hitting the ground at high rates of speed that sort of takes the
> mickey out of it for me!

supposidly chain mail makes a *excellent* abrasion armour (from old
reports) ... and if you think about it, it makes sense - hit the ashpalt and
thousands of tiny wheels start "rolling" and sliding .. protecting what's
encased inside from abrasion.  though i can think of easier way's to clean
your mail than "highway diving" (sandblasted it once with a crazed celtic
brother wearing it .. he was bored) ... the easiest was driving up and down
the beach dragging it behind the truck.

> Although I do like to ride "bitch" with a competent rider, ...

*grin*  the more gentle PC term is "riding pillion" *grin*

> > riding is one of the best thing for keeping ones sanity in a
> > increasingly sane world.
>
> Not sure how sane the world is, but it's an amazing catharsis all the
> same!

with the typo, it's just not the same .... make that "insane" (recovering
state drone  ... but i'm feeling much! better now!)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves