ANST - natural dyeing ... reds & purples

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Tue Jun 30 21:36:09 PDT 1998

On 30 Jun 98, at 23:06, Laury Torrence wrote:

> It seems I remember something about a mollusk that was
> from the Mediterranean area being used to make red/purple
> dye.  Possibly ground or boiled, not certain!  Anyone else
> recall something of this one?

the basis of "Tyrinnean (sp?) Purple", origionally obtained from the sea-
trading city of Tyr as early as the bronze age ... one of the great luxury
goods of many ages - and cause of many sumptuary laws (reserving purple
for the elite .... once commercial growth allowed it to be afforded by the
increasingly affluent middle class of merchants)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves