ANST - natural dyeing ... reds & purples

jhartel jhartel at net-link.net
Tue Jun 30 16:28:40 PDT 1998

Stefan wrote something akin to:
> This makes me curious. Are there prickly-pear cactus varieties native
>to Europe? What about other cactuses?

 I don't know about that but I am positive that the Spaniards saw the
 rich colours the Indians in Mexico were producing and brought it back
to Erupoe.  I read an acocunt of it once but memory fails me now.  If I
locate the info I'll send it.

> If so, what did the medieval Europeans make with them? What about the
> Middle East or Africa? Did any of these products get transported to >Europe?

 I remeber reading that the Europeans got Indigo, madder and other
 dyestuffs from across the globe.  None was indiginous to Europe or even
 England.

 Moriel**
 [who reads lots but hates to rewrite it down for the sake of
 documentation...]