ANST - Memories of Sir Riccardo

Rollie Reid carcassonnais at geocities.com
Tue Mar 17 21:14:10 PST 1998

Gunnora reminds me of things.

Ansteorran War Revival and Holy Roller Incitement of the Black Star
Warriors

I remember many of them, but one particularly comes back to me.  It
was an outdoor coronation, and by the time that Ricardo arose to
harangue us, it was dark, and court was lighted only by torches.  As
Ricardo faced the populace, and worked himself up, and took us along,
he arrived at a key moment, and suddenly a shooting star crossed the
sky behind him.  For a moment, it seemed that he had called that sign
to help make his point.

The Great Raid in answer to Bjornsborg insults (The Infamous Cattle
Raid On Rimkus Ford)

I answered my Baron's call, and travelled south to answer the insult
of Bjornsborg, who had claimed lands within Bryn Gwlad before the
King(at least that is what I was told, but when the baron calls you
answer, and you don't ask questions).

We may have been outnumbered, but easily two thirds of the experience
was with Bjornsborg.  I was a young fighter, and there were four or
five who had been fighting less than a full year.  I remember Gunnora
sitting on those spears, and that battle turned against us.  I
remember four battles, and in the first two Ricardo did his best to
our inexperienced fighters to best advantage, but the greater
experience and skill of Bjornsborg could not be overcome.  Then I
remember Ricardo leaving another in command of the little group, and
operating alone on the field, and no one could stand against him.
 The last two battles went to Bryn Gwlad, though only because Sir
Ricardo was on our side.  I remember watching from the edge of the
field (having been killed, along with all the other Bryn Gwalders),
while Ricardo defeated every fighter left from Bjornsborg, and
literally stood alone, victorious upon the battle field.

I remember a knight, who tried to weld us into a unit, and when that
failed to bring victory, he did what was necessary to win.  It was
another lesson that Ricardo taught me, that I had forgotten until
Gunnora reminded me.

At the funeral, when the Pastor ran through the list of titles that
Ricardo deserved, like father, and friend, he left off knight, which
is what I will always think of, when I think of Sir Ricardo.

Conor

lucetis sicut luminaria in mundo