ANST - thoughts on land issues .... (danger: opinions and observations)

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Fri May 1 08:09:07 PDT 1998

On 30 Apr 98 at 2:40, James Crouchet wrote:

> Here are some of my thoughts. Some are just information, some are
> negative, some are positive, some suggestions:

actually, your figures are very close to what i have been finding ....
you see, my father and i are looking for *exactly* what you are
describing.  in our case, 100+ acres with water, near urban areas ....
he's come into some significant funds and wants to invest them in some
land to be developed into a  combination conference center, ranch
(horses, some cattle, maybe some "exotics"), a retirement site for
them and later for the rest of our family ....
 self is looking to add a additional 25 acres adjoined to the
family land for my personal uses .... heavy crafts, my animals
(horses and hounds) , a refuge from urban realitiesfor self and my
associates ...

in the case of this project we're targeting $100K to start the
project and secure the site, followed by another $100-200K to get
things stable and maintainable - and that's cutting a *lot* or corners
at the beginnings and knowing that it has to be setup as a commercial
(including farm/ranch "agricultral" uses) to create a working
"balance" to keep it operational ... that would include improving the
site and making it available to groups who are looking for improved
sites (there are many out there ...).

folks, the idea is good ... but it's a difficult and *expensive*
proposition ... and in my OPINION i seriously doubt that the SCA (at
this time) is capable, at a kingdom level (which is only level it has
a possibility of working at the scope that has been discussed) ... of
marshelling the necessary resources to come up with the downpayment,
creating a stable management structure, prove financial solvency over
the long term (can you say "business plan") to get the necessary
loans), maintain the place, make improvements, manage operations etc

this is NOT a putdown, just observation of the chaotic nature of this
organization (too many variations of what it is, where it is going,
how it's to get there ... we all dream differntly after all - that's
one reason the SCA is such an interesting place).  after all, for most
this is not our lives, it's a diversion / hobby.  most of us are
barely getting by and few if any additional funds to devote to such a
project.

often the issue is too many voices, it's like herding cat's most times
(perhaps the borg model might have merit (grin) ... but that diversity
is a marvelous thing that makes the SCA the unique entity that it is.

i'm not saying it can't be done (i've seen it work elsewhere, and fail
in other places) but it's not as simple as most people assume.

another thing to consider, when a group makes the long term
commitments to a site, it can radically change the entire nature of
the organization.  in one case i'm familiar with, it so cahnaged the
focus and nature of the group involved, that it no longer became
tolerable to many who belonged and intially supported the project
...and they left, the project became something else that was no longer
what the founders intended, scheduling pressures became such that it
was increasingly unavalaible to it's own members and they started
seeking out the old sites that they origionally used.

'wolf
... if anyone finds a good site, i know where there's close to $100K
ready to be spent (grin)

... carpe ichthae