ANST - Autocrating and Dry Sites

Joel Schumacher jschumac at uns1.jcpenney.com
Fri May 1 09:18:34 PDT 1998

I talked to a person last night who has a bid in to autocrat an event
later this year.

It seemd she had intended to use the same site as last year - a dry boy
scout camp.  Why?  Probably just lack of research.  Last year it was
chosen because nothing else was suitable and available for that weekend.
Without even re-checking availabilities this year, it appears she had
intended to use the same site.

When I brought up the dry/wet issue, she dismissed it.  "People will
drink.  As long as I don't see the drinks...".  She said how at all
the other "dry" events she's been to, people had it pre-mixed into
2-liters of soda or disguised as something else.

So is this dry/wet issue really an issue?  If everybody drinks anyway,
it doesn't matter what site you use, right?

Is/should the attitude be that we don't care about the owners rules?
Should the autocrat have the "I don't care, but if I see it, I'm supposed
to say something" attitude?

I think this is contrary to the wishes of the camp owners.  I'd much
rather see a wet site than risk problems with the owners.