ANST - Dry sites will annoy the chemically dependent

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Sun May 3 10:24:21 PDT 1998

Heilsa my good Brother Graf Galen and all good and true Ansteorrans...!

Kief here scribing from HE Lorraine's account...

You, Galen, typed...

>stddly at SHSU.edu wrote:

That I wrote...*grin*

>> However, a _Self Imposed Tax_ would be one that could do the Kingdom or
>> Principality or Barony or Shire or Land Fund a good turn...may well be "A Good
>> Thing"...! If the vast majority of Kingdom subjects wanted such a thing or if
>> it was made an option at events then we would all benefit...
>>
>> Just my dos centavos....
>>
>> Kief

>Thats right Kief.  A tithe is called a tithe, not a tax, because it is
>optional...you don't have to tithe to the church, but if enough people
>fail to , the church will collapse financially.

'Tis true good Brother. If all the folk that are members of the SCA Inc.
stopped paying their "tithe" in the form of yearly dues, the whole thing would
basically collapse. To "tithe" is to express your faith in something and to
support it's goals by monetary means...

>As I have always been
>taught however, a true tithe is optional only at the beginning...that
>is, once you've deciceded to pay a tithe, you can't just stop, or decide
>to do it this week, but not next week, etc.  Some pretty particular
>rules.

My thoughts on the matter are like this. A religious based tithe is one that
people commit to in order to keep their minister and local church "afloat".
This gives them a return in their own spiritual well being...as well as helping
to improve their place and mode of worship.

While the SCA and all it's "local" chapters are by no means religious in
nature, there are many folk out there that hold the SCA and it's general
philosophy up to very high standards. They also apply this general philosophy
to their everyday existance. These are the folk that bring their families out
to SCA events, and then their grandchildren. All because they see a "Good
Thing" in the general beliefs espoused in the SCA. As well, these folk strive
to improve and maintain the structure of the SCA so more folk can enjoy what
we've all built in the SCA. They are also the ones that would, more than
likely, "tithe" in order to buy land, or local "lodges", or whatever the SCA
needs to improve and grow.

By-the-by, I've long been a advocate of "local lodges" for each chapter. Such
would go a long way in solving problems with meeting and gathering spots. As
well, a "lodge" building would be a physical presence in the community.
Interested people would have a place to be refered to rather than the "fighter
practice in the park" type of directions. We in Raven's Fort have long been
listed with the local Chamber of Commerce, the Arts Council, and Sam Houston
State University. This "dream" of mine is a very long term goal. However, I
would be more than willing to give a goodly part of my available money to a
land fund or a "lodge" fund, as long as the Society was bettered as a  result.

>Maybe someone could start something local, independant of the
>SCA, so so that it could be held by a separate NFP, where interested
>parties could sign up to pay in, with the idea of buying and maintaining
>land as the end goal.  Heyyyy, wait a minute, this sounds awfully
>familiar.....

See above...*big smile*...

>Graf Galen Kirchenbauer

Baron Kief....Knight, Master, Lion... And true supporter of Ansteorra...

"Better the Hammer than the nail..."