ANST - YOU'VE BEEN rejected

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu May 7 09:58:36 PDT 1998

Mark Hinkle wrote:
> Incoming letters not matching the subscriber list would be sent
> to a "bin" where further filtering can be applied.

Pug wrote:
  Although this can be done, and some of the lists are doing this to
  ensure that only members post (ie. the Laurels' list), it's not for
  everybody. (This not for everybody, includes me.)

  There are valid posts being made to the lists from non-subscribers.
  These are such items as event announcements, Inter-Kingdom
  anthropology, IKAC results, Board info, etc.

  To date on the Ansteorra list, the valid information being posted has
  exceeded the SPAM. If the filters and software being put in place help
  reduce the likelihood of it happening even further, I'm all for it.

Pug, I don't think you're addressing his suggestion.  He's
talking about non-subscriber e-mail being sent to the list
maintainer (viz., you) to manually decide whether to forward
it, much like you do with spam currently.

You may say it's extra work you don't want to do; OK.  You
may say it's unnecessary, that you expect the coming spam
traps to handle 90% of the cases; OK.  But he's *not*
calling for a subscribers-only list.

Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.