ANST - YOU'VE BEEN rejected

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu May 7 11:07:28 PDT 1998

Timothy A. McDaniel said something that sounded like:
>> > Incoming letters not matching the subscriber list would be sent
>> > to a "bin" where further filtering can be applied.
>>   Although this can be done, and some of the lists are doing this to
>>   ensure that only members post (ie. the Laurels' list), it's not for
>>   everybody. (This not for everybody, includes me.)
> Pug, I don't think you're addressing his suggestion.  He's
> talking about non-subscriber e-mail being sent to the list
> maintainer (viz., you) to manually decide whether to forward
> it, much like you do with spam currently.

Good Morning,

  Let me be a little clearer then. (Unless I'm just very confused about
  what is being discussed.)

  It certainly could be setup to either limit to subscribers and to have
  all other email filtered to the mainter.

  The problem is, as many maintainers who do filter this way have found
  out, is that the account/system that someone is subscribed as, is not
  always the system they are posting from. (This could be due to
  end-user Anti-SPAM measures, end-user misconfigurations, or sites that
  truly have messed up mail systems.) This means that they are then sent
  on to the maintainer eventhough they are a subscriber to the list.

  The reason I'm not willing to do it, although in part is due to
  usefulness of non-subscriber messages, is mostly the fact that this
  can quickly kill active discussions of this happens to people.

  Despite what some people may think, I'm not always around to monitor
  the list and forward on valid postings. I do go to events and have
  somewhat of a social life at times. *smile*

Ciao,