ANST - YOU'VE BEEN rejected

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Thu May 7 13:31:13 PDT 1998

On  7 May 98 at 9:58, Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> Pug, I don't think you're addressing his suggestion.  He's
> talking about non-subscriber e-mail being sent to the list
> maintainer (viz., you) to manually decide whether to forward
> it, much like you do with spam currently.
>
> You may say it's extra work you don't want to do; OK.  You
> may say it's unnecessary, that you expect the coming spam
> traps to handle 90% of the cases; OK.  But he's *not*
> calling for a subscribers-only list.

having been a sysop and a group moderator (on more than on occasion)
i know exactly where Pug is coming from.

i vote for keeping the list un-restricted and open to information
flow *without* making him the designated info-censor because a
few people are annoyed by the occasional spam that slips through
(it will never be 100% people ...)

personally, i learned a long time back how to use my mailer's
"delete" functions and would prefer to decide for myself what is / is
not of interest .... and if that means the occasional spam-mail
getting through, it's no big deal from where i sit.

it's not a perfect world folks, flow with it  ...

'wolf
... "don't sweat the small stuff" (anyone have the latin for that?)