ANST - YOU'VE BEEN rejected

Bill Sholar BillS at aurora-gas.com
Thu May 7 17:54:06 PDT 1998

A couple days ago Pug mentioned the new spam blockers that we'll
be using then said:

> The problems that we'll see is if any of the users on the lists match
> any the above criteria.

Markov then suggested:

> Incoming letters not matching the subscriber list would be sent to a
> "bin" where further filtering can be applied.

Pug ultimately responded:

> The problem is, as many maintainers who do filter this way have
> found out, is that the account/system that someone is subscribed
> as, is not always the system they are posting from. (This could be
> due to end-user Anti-SPAM measures, end-user misconfigurations,
> or sites that truly have messed up mail systems.) This means that
> they are then SENT ON TO THE MAINTAINER eventhough they are a
> subscriber to the list.
(emphasis added)

I may have totally missed the point myself, but I don't think that
Markov was suggesting that Pug personally approve all postings
that aren't from subscribers. Rather I think he meant that a rule
could be established that gave subscribers a free ticket past the
anti-spam measures. No messages from subscribers would be
subjected to the anti-spam filtering and all would get through.
People who are posting from other accounts or non-subscribers
would go through the anti-spam filtering, but 95% of them would
still get through. Pug, you would only have to approve the small
number of messages that weren't from a subscriber and failed the
spam test.

I have no idea if this is feasible, but its a neat idea any way.

--Giraut d'Avinho