ANST - Templars ...

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wd9get at amsat.org
Fri May 8 07:48:08 PDT 1998

>being a historian by training, and follower of things in the realms
>of "comparative religions" ... if memory serves, the templers came
>back from the middle east a entirely different order than when they
>left ... to a point that the church, in fear of their new unorthadoxy
>and eastern occult leanings (not to mention their new commercial
>power), finally rallied enough support to attempt to eradicate them

I haven't seen any mention of the Templars being accused of bring back
'eastern ideas'. The main reason they were feared is because they
controlled the European banking system. King Phillip of France in league
with the pope, Clement V. They tortured a former Templar officer,Esquiu de
Florian and he confessed to many atrocities and heresies. The official
accusation stated they "put their order and its selfish interests before
the interests of the Holy Mother Church and before moral principle. They
took a secret oath to defend and enrich their order by any means, without
regard for right or wrong. They maintained secret correspondence with the
Muslims. In their initiation rites, new members were required to spit or
trample on the cross and to deny Jesus Christ. A Templar who attempted to
reveal the secrets of the order was murdered. The Templars desecrated the
holy sacraments and omitted the words of consecration in the service of the
mass. They practiced the absolution of sins by laymen without a priest. The
Templars were given permission to engage in sodomy and other homosexual
acts. It was through the treachery of the Templars that the Holy Land had
been lost. They worshiped satanic idols in the forms of a bearded head and
a cat." [Dungeon, Fire and Sword, John Robinson, 1991, p432]. Thus on
Friday the 13th of October, 1307, the Templars in all Christendom were
arrested, tortured, and confessed to most of the above charges.

>... which only drove them (and their knowledge) underground, to be
>perpetuated and passed down by several "secret societies"  ... most
>notable being the masonic orders (that perpetuated that knowledge and
>spread it in europe and into the new world ...)

Common story propagated by many, but with little proof. John Robinson also
wrote 'Born in Blood' which links Templars to Masonry, but he even admits
that the evidence is circumstantial. Though most Masons like to thing and
boast the order goes back to the Second Temple era, there is no evidence of
masonry before 1717. There are a series of degrees within York Rite Masonry
of Knight of the Red Cross, Knight of Malta, and Knight of the Temple,
based on Templar history, but no know true connection. (I am a Mason, and
holder of these degrees).

>pattern sounds real familiar and reminds one that the "church"
>persecuted their own as well as those native cultures that they
>"conquered" ... should be several good lessons in there somewhere.

A sad, but true part of the history of the Church. Many atrocities were
carried out in the name of Christ. The potential for corruption is present
in any organization wielding great power, and the Church was certainly not
immune.

In Service to Physick and Chirurgy,
Galen

Friar Galen of Ockham