ANST - Templars ...

J. Scott & Arisa Ballentine ballentine at earthlink.net
Fri May 8 20:25:01 PDT 1998

> My favorite part of the story is where Jacques de Molay called upon the
> king and pope to "meet with him within the year for judgement at
> the throne
> of God". Clement V died in April (6 mo later), and Philip in November (one
> month later).

Growing up in DeMolay's, I heard a legend that some of the gargoyles on
Notre Dame face away from the island where the execution took place.  The
story held that they originally faced in the direction of the isle, but
turned away at the time of the execution.  They "couldn't bear to see such
an act of infamy".  Probably propaganda, but a neat story.  Have to track
that one down sometime.

> >2.   It is highly inaccurate to say "...Templars in all
> Christendom were..."
> >anything.  The Order was never officially dissolved in Scotland.
>
> I wouldn't call it inaccurate, as the Papal Bull "Vox in Excelso"
> *officially* dissolved the order in all Christian lands. Now what actually
> happened, that is another story....

True, however as I understand the legalities, the Papal Bull must be
"recognized" for it to be in affect.  I believe this is how the modern Order
in Scotland claims descent.

Fergus