ANST - The list is moderated...

Lord Nikolai Piotr Danovich nikolai at fiac.net
Fri May 22 16:21:41 PDT 1998

>discussion for themselves. we are adults and should have the right to voice

How do you know we are all adults?  How do you know that I am not using
Daddy's computer to read all of this?  How do you even know that I'm male?
  Of course, by my signature, you can see that I am a Lord and a
senechal.... if I'm telling the truth.  How do you know I'm not an
investigative reporter from Dallas... or an FBI agent looking for
sedition...or a P.I. looking for grounds to show that someone's case has
been prejudiced... or an IRS agent investigating the SCA, Inc.'s nonprofit
status as an educational institution?  How do you know that there isn't one
here, even if I'm not?

Even though the Society is based on medieval recreation, this forum can be
reaching literally billions with the stroke of the "enter" key.  Only Pug
knows how many people are reading this list.  But even she doesn't know how
many people are in the room at the time the list is being read.  For
myself, I know my S.O. is usually reading along with me.  And all that Pug
really knows is the list of email addresses.  With remailers (commonly
available) I could be in the Pentagon, the Kremlin, the Vatican, or in
Acme(tm) Labs ("That was nicely worded, Brain." "Thank you, Pinky"...)

What I'm getting at is 1) we ASSUME everyone on the list is in the SCA and
2) we ASSUME everyone is an adult.  Neither of these is accurate.  Good
Gentles, please take a big breath.  Examine the posts from the last few
days.  Is there anything there you would NOT want children to read?  A
mundane, thinking about joining?  An agent of the government? The mundane
press?  Do you want your last posts to the list published in an expose' of
the Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City newspapers? These are things we must
think about when we post.

In Service,
Ld. Nikolai
(climbing down from his soap box and sliding it back into the garage. "Good
Soapy.  Sit. Stay.")